Friday, January 29, 2016

Week 3 EOC: My Demographics

Since I was born between 1977 and 2000 I am considered a millennial. According to the book, Introduction to Maketing, millennials make up a huge percentage of the market with a total purchasing power of more than $733 billion. Millennials are believed to be tech savvy. I would have to agree with this. We are growing up in a world where technology is advancing faster than ever and we all want to be “in the now”. We want to have the newest iPhone, gaming system, and etc. We also are the first generation that has grown up with technology whether it is cellphones, computers, satellite TV, or even social media.

“All generations are comfortable with technology, but this is the generation that’s been formed by technology,” says a Yahoo! executive. For them, “it’s not something separate. It’s just something they do” (Introduction to Marketing, pg. 73). Since we have grown up with technology we have been formed by it. I know for a fact that a majority of people in this generation check their phone on a daily basis. Whenever I wake up in the morning the first thing I have to do is check my phone for texts, calls, or emails then I check all my social media accounts which include Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter. I feel like if I don’t check my phone all the time I will miss something important. I think part of this has to do with the fact that companies know we are always around technology so they market everything on these apps. “Millennials are bombarded with marketing messages coming at them from all directions” (Introduction to Marketing, pg. 73).

Overall, I would have to say that I agree with the book. The millennial generation revolves around technology and is being influenced by it on a daily basis.


No comments:

Post a Comment